HOME > Campus Life > Essentials for Internationals
Essentials for International Students

Immigration & Visa

  • How to get a student visa (D-2)

     After international applicants get admitted and complete payment of tuition within the designated
     registration period, they should prepare visa documentations for their entry to Korea, according to the
     Admissions Office's notice for new international students. Reviewing the guideline from the Admissions
     Office, please contact the Office of International Affairs (OIA) which deals with visa and immigration matters
     for international students.
     Office of International Affairs (OIA)
     Phone: +82 31 290 5025~6
     Email: intlans@skku.edu Address: 1st Floor of the Student Center 2066 Seobu-ro, Jangan-gu, Suwon,
     Gyeonggi-do 440-746 Korea

  • Foreigner Registration

     All international students who hold a D-2 Visa are required to register (report) their status in Korea upon
     arrival. Otherwise, it shall be considered as an illegal stay. Registration Period: within 90 days from the entry
     date Registration

     Venue: Suwon Immigration

     Office Required Documents: Application form, Passport 1, color photo (size 3*4 cm), Certificate of Enrollment
     (issued in the University Registrar's Office), Fee (KRW 10,000).

     Note: You are advised to complete this upon your arrival as it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks due to a large
     volume of inbound international students in Korea at the beginning of the semester.

     For further information, you can contact the OIA of the University or visit the Immigration Office website at

  • Visa Extension
     In case of expiration of visa, you shall be required to get an extension of stay by submitting the visa extension
     documents to the Suwon Immigration Office.

     The followings are applicable conditions and required documents:

     Application Period: applicable before 2 months from the expiry date

     Application Venue: Suwon

    Immigration Office Required Documents: Application form, Passport, and Foreign Registration Card Certificate
    of Enrollment (issued in the University Registrar's Office), Fee (KRW 30,000), other documents (which each
    category of student status may require additionally)

  • Immigration Office

     Important notices and information on your stay in Korea are updated latest on the website,
     http://www.hikorea.go.kr. Please visit here so as to obtain related information and useful tips on immigration
     affairs. You can also get a useful information and guidance by contacting the Immigration Office Call Center
     (tel. 1345), which provides relevant services in eight different languages.

    Suwon Immigration Office 1012-6 Yeongtong-dong Yeongtong-gu Suwon Phone: 031-695-3800 *For more
    information about visas and immigration matters on campus, please contact the OIA on the 1st floor of
    Engineering Building 2 (tel. 031-290-5025)

Health Insurance

If any medical emergency arises, each international student is responsible for the cost of medical treatment during their stay in Korea. Students must therefore have medical insurance coverage as a requirement and verify that the insurance policy you carry covers hospitalization and medical care occurring during international travel, as well as repatriation to your home country in case of medical emergency. For this reason, it is very important that students have adequate health insurance for themselves. Note: It is obligatory for all international students to arrange health insurance, which can cover the period of time they are going to stay, before entry on their own or right after arrival in Korea. The OIA will give you more details on the health insurance and its related services.

For more information about health insurance, please contact the Office of International Affairs (Phone: +82-31-290-5025, Email: intlans@skku.edu)